Saturday, March 29, 2008

William Michaelian: I Can Imagine

Click here to listen to the audio clip I can imagine read by the author William Michaelian.


I can imagine waking up one morning
to find I have become older than my mother,
and I can imagine her not noticing.

I can imagine her admiring my cane
without wondering at the need.

I can imagine her looking out the window
at the street and waiting for my return,
even though I stand beside her, waiting for hers.

I can imagine her in a lush green meadow
eating bowls of cereal with butterflies in her hair.

I can imagine her memories waiting at the door,
hoping this day she will let them in.

I can imagine them dying of hunger and neglect
amid a pile of brittle leaves, and a curious cat
sniffing at their pungent remains.

I can imagine an ancient tree where there once
was none, and I can imagine words
of a forgotten language carved into its bark.

I can imagine reading them, and I can imagine
being the only person who knows what they mean.

I can imagine the familiar hand that held the knife
that echoed the spirit that inspired the breath that
warmed the lips that uttered the sound that spoke
the joy that moved the heart to direct the hand
to press harder, harder, harder. . . .


Copyright William Michaelian. Appears here by kind permission of the author.




Je peux imaginer qu’un jour
me réveillant,  je serai
encore plus vieux que ma mère
qui je peux l’imaginer
ne l’aurait pas remarqué

Elle admirerait ma canne
sans la remettre en question,
surveillerait mon retour
dans la rue, par la fenêtre
bien que moi-même à son côté
Je sois à guetter son retour

Je peux l’imaginer mangeant

de pleins bols de céréales
des papillons plein les cheveux
Dans un champ verdoyant et plein

J’arrive à imaginer
ses souvenirs derrière la porte
qui espèrent qu’aujourd’hui
elle va les laisser entrer

J’arrive à imaginer
qu’ils mourront d’avoir eu faim
d’avoir été négligés
sur un amas de feuilles sèches

intrigué un chat viendra
humer leurs restes odorants

j’arrive à imaginer qu’un vieil arbre pousserait
là où d’autres ne poussent pas
et  je peux imaginer
dans l’épaisseur de son écorce
les mots d’un langage oublié

je peux imaginer les lire
et
je peux imaginer
être seul à les comprendre

je peux imaginer la main
connue  - 
et son couteau
qui fut
la voix de l’âme dont
l’haleine
réchauffa les lèvres froides
qui insufflèrent les bruits joyeux
au cœur à ce point remué
que la main a pressé fort
plus fort
plus fort
encore plus fort


Translated from the French by Sylvie M. Miller

No comments: